Sunday, February 17, 2013

Penguin Cake

Yesterday I made a penguin cake for my son's birthday party. I am really happy with how it came out.



I copied the idea from this blog: "Fowl Single File: There's a Penguin in my Fridge" which I found after doing a google image search for "penguin cake".


I used a box of (Betty Crocker's) Devil's Food Cake mix and baked a bit less than half of it in an 8" small round cake, and the rest in a pyrex bowl which roughly the same diameter (this will took about twice as long as the baking time for the round cake). I put these in the fridge overnight. In the morning I trimmed them to match, and stuck them together with some (Betty Crocker) chocolate frosting. I then put an entire tube of black food colouring in the rest of the chocolate frosting (which made it dark brown) and iced the cake. The eyes, tummy, nose, feet and hat are fondant icing. I bough white ready to roll icing. The pupils were dabs of the chocolate frosting, and a lot of orange and green food colouring when into making the orange and green bits! If I did this again I might buy ready coloured fondant icing.

1 comment:

  1. So adorable! Thanks for sharing your creation and for linking to me in your post. He's so roly poly and cute!!

    ReplyDelete